Smoker's Helpline | Connect to Quit

Home / Patch,Champix... explore your options / Starting Champix anybody else feel weird?

Search Messages
Posted By Message Date Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend
Paul, Quit Coach Jul 03, 2017 (06:27 PM)  

Personal Image

Good to see that the Champix has been helpful beverlybon.

One day, one craving at a time everyone.
Paul

Smokers' Helpline Online Support Team

beverlybon Jul 03, 2017 (04:37 PM)  

I am on champix. I rode out the weird feelings the first week and now am feeling back to normal. Would not have been able to quit without it! Hang in there

wrenn Apr 27, 2017 (11:12 PM)  

I started just over three weeks ago and had to stop. The side effects were horrible. I decided to try half the dose as it was beginning to work before I stopped. My quit date is this coming Monday so I'm worried that without the Champix the cravings will be too much, however I'm going to try. 

I hope the side effects diminish for you!  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2017
Smoke-Free Days: -2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -24
Amount Saved: $-12.48
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -18131

Paul, Quit Coach Apr 22, 2017 (10:13 AM)  

Personal Image

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for your input into this thread. We're glad that you found a way that works for you.

As Evitafreedom mentioned, we would also recommend a chat with your doctor or pharmacist if you are struggling with side effects, or if you find that the medication is not working properly; as they are experienced in helping people manage their medications.

Thank you all for this thread, and for all of you reading this, we hope you have a great, smoke free day.

Paul

Smokers' Helpline Online Support Team

Thierry Apr 22, 2017 (09:11 AM)  

Hi.  I've been using Champix since the end of March.  I read all the warnings and possible side effects before I started taking it.  While there is a long list of 'possible' side effects, which sorta freaked me out, at least I knew what to watch out for once I started taking it.  Honestly, it really did help out.  Within 24-36 hours, I was already noticing a reduction in the amount of cigs I was smoking.  I have experienced some of the side effects mentioned: vivid dreams, more irritable, some difficulty sleeping, but it has all been manageable.  Really, for me, it was a fine trade-off as I knew not smoking was the long-term bigger pay-off.  Honestly though, I noticed more of these symptoms were more frequent and intense once I went to the full dosage.  So, I backed it off to one pill per day.  That seems to have worked for me.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 21
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 315
Amount Saved: $178.76
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 7 Mins: 33 Seconds: 58

Evitafreedom Apr 21, 2017 (07:17 PM)  

Hi, I have tried Champix, and it is helping a lot. I set my quit date for between day 10 and 17.  I quit on the day 17 in the afternoon, and I have not had another cigarette (35 days). I believe that it is important to know that Champix is not a magic pill, but it is a partial blocker of the nicotine receptors. So it "gives us a hand to help us quit."  I have had no problems with Champix. My pharmacist did tell me that some people had trouble sleeping, so he suggested that I take the second pill, the afternoon pill, in the early afternoon. So I take it around 3:00 with a glass of water and a snack. I still have trouble sleeping, but I think that is just the getting used to a new life without smoking.  I am so glad, and I wish you all the best courage and love yourself. Stay strong. You can do it.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/17/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 35
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,050
Amount Saved: $504.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 16 Mins: 6 Seconds: 49

Diane987 Apr 12, 2017 (11:30 AM)  

I took my second pill this morning. Not having side effects yet... So far, so good. Quit date is next Tuesday. I hope you're still on course, TamE!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2017
Smoke-Free Days: -5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -50
Amount Saved: $-51.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -49921

genesis Apr 11, 2017 (06:13 PM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: Painting, drawing, yoga, classical rock, kayaking, camping, travel.

TamE I tried absolutely everything over the course of thirty years trying to quit. Champix was my saviour! I did have some pretty amazing, vivid dreams but learned to roll with them especially as my lungs started to heal. What an amazing feeling to be able to take long deep breaths and climb stairs easily and quickly. The positives were all I focused on (that and my wine gums). Iced water never left my side!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/12/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 2556
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 63,900
Amount Saved: $25,560.00
Life Gained:
Days: 367 Hrs: 7 Mins: 2 Seconds: 10

Genesis

Efram, Moderator Apr 02, 2017 (10:38 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi TamE,

Thanks for joining us here! I'm glad that you're all in for quitting -- you have the right mind-set! 

So, about Champix, I'm not worried about scaring you but I do want to make sure that you (and your fellow motorists) are safe! In case of an allergic reaction or unexpected effects, it's advised that you stop taking Champix and call your doctor or pharmacist

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.  

Regards,
Efram

Smoker's Helpline Support Team

TamE Apr 02, 2017 (08:29 PM)  

Hi. I just started champix and have just finished the first dosage increase day. It goes up again in 3 more days. Having some very mild perception experiences. Kinda reminds me of the 80's. Standing still if someone walks by me from behind, feels like I am moving backwards. That kind of thing. Not all the time. It happened in a parking lot luckily when I had my foot on the break after backing in, the car next to me pulled out and I got really scared and jammed that break and closed my eyes. I could have sworn I was backing up! Kind of wonder what it will be like when I start 2mg a day. I also feel like I am smoking more. Could just be panic at the thought of having to give them up in 5 more days.
Any other weirdness that may come my way? Don't worry about scaring me. Quiting smoking is the only thing I could not do on my own once I set my mind to it. So with champix help I am all in for quitting.

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend