Smoker's Helpline | Connect to Quit

Home / Cravings, Withdrawal, and Avoiding Slips / Struggling and upset

Search Messages
1 2
Posted By Message Date Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend
Treepeo Apr 28, 2017 (07:12 PM)  

Hobbies: reading, video games

Hi nalabean,

I am eating just the same way I  did before I quit smoking.  I really have not put on any extra weight since quitting.  Some people do, but not everyone.  But even if you do put on some extra weight at the beginning, who says it is because you quit smoking?  It could be for an entirely different reason.  I'm sure that all of us put on extra weight at one time or another even while we were smokers.  So please don't let that thought discourage you.

You know, I have found that part of this addiction is that we can come up with all sorts of reasons why we shouldn't really quit, or why we shouldn't really quit right now.  That's how invasive this addiction is.  It makes all of us have these kinds of thoughts.  What the heck is that?  I find it astonishing that all of us get these thoughts at one time or another.  I can't tell you how often I used to think of quitting, but then thought, "No, I can't because . . ."  I am sure this is all part of this dependence we have on nicotine and all of the other chemicals we have inhaled for years.  It's really something how powerful these thoughts can be.

Tell your inner child that you are perfect just the way you are.  And keep fighting the fight, nalabean.  You are so worth it.  And you can do this.  We can all do this.  We just have to believe in ourselves and in each other.  We are all rooting for you!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/29/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 120
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,000
Amount Saved: $360.00
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 15 Mins: 37 Seconds: 51

Newoportunity Apr 28, 2017 (05:45 PM)  

Personal Image

nalabean

First of all, Congratulations in your 19 days smoke free.
I believe if you reach to be free of smoke. you can Battle any problem, don't forget that is your brain who played with you, get distracted and it will go away.
We are most important than a problem.
We can do this

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/8/2015
Smoke-Free Days: 690
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 41,400
Amount Saved: $18,630.00
Life Gained:
Days: 111 Hrs: 5 Mins: 45 Seconds: 31

EVERY DAY IS A TRY, NEVER GIVE UP

nalabean Apr 28, 2017 (01:52 PM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: reading, gardening,baking

Going on 3 weeks...tomorrow actually and still smoke free😊, quite proud of myself but my head is playing games with me.
I am having serious worries about the weight gain...I guess to most people that isn't  such a big deal  but for me it is a super big deal. I'm  still pretty much eating like i did before (ive had issues my entire life. ) . Not so much the amount i weighed but the bullying I endured my entire life at school.  You'd  think that at 60 years old i should have gotten over it....but I haven't thus the constant argument with myself that I'll  take care of it once I am comfortable that I am quit for sure.

I'm  not exactly sure how to convince my inner child, as it were. Any suggestions? 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/9/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 19
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 76
Amount Saved: $39.52
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 14 Mins: 12 Seconds: 40

nalabean

nalabean Apr 15, 2017 (02:42 PM)  

Personal Image

Thank you Paul, Elron and wimporswim,
It truly helps getting some encouragement , I'm  feeling better now , took out my anger on the walls!
My sister called too, i told her yesterday that i had quit, she quit around 5 years ago  so she knows where I'm  coming from.
Thinking the hubby and I can go out for chinese tonight. 

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24
Amount Saved: $12.48
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 21 Seconds: 35

nalabean

Paul, Quit Coach Apr 15, 2017 (11:27 AM)  

Personal Image

Hi Nalabean, it sounds like you are really in touch with your feelings, reasons for cravings, and it's wonderful to read that you're staying strong.

Hopefully this past day was a blip on the screen and that the next few days will be better for you again. Keep up the great work. 

One Day at a Time everyone.
Paul

Smokers' Helpline Online Team

Elron Apr 15, 2017 (10:24 AM)  

Hobbies: Building things

Well Nalabean I find it encouraging to see others are fighting though this even if only a few days more then myself. I read the post's and find strength in many ways from the posts, I hope to hear at the end of the day that your success at one week of being a non-smoker. You can do it

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/11/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $46.40
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 18 Mins: 16 Seconds: 8

Smoke free 😜

wimporswim Apr 15, 2017 (10:23 AM)  

Hi nalabean - Forget the cleaning today! Take the whole day to celebrate and reward yourself today. Making a week is a huge first step so you have my permission to slack off and do something (except smoking!!!) you really enjoy. You deserve it. Be proud of how far you have come. I'm proud of you. We can do this!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 102
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,060
Amount Saved: $1,248.48
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 15 Mins: 41 Seconds: 3

nalabean Apr 15, 2017 (09:47 AM)  

Personal Image

Well today at 8:30 p.m. tonight, will be 1 week since i quit. It hasn't  been too bad really until yesterday afternoon and this morning. I've  been feeling angry and frustrated because I can't  smoke, ugh! so dumb i know.
It's  like my body is saying " okay i gave you a week, so now give me a smoke ." I won't  give ( or at least I hope  not ), Popped a nicorette gum in my mouth and am starting my spring cleaning. Maybe that's  why Im craving a smoke because I know I have work to do and don't  really feel like doing it. 

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24
Amount Saved: $12.48
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 20 Mins: 42 Seconds: 50

nalabean

nalabean Apr 12, 2017 (09:15 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi Emily,
 I think the thing that I am enjoying the most is no longer being a slave to my cigarette. I no longer have to worry about where i can have my next smoke.  
I  still  have a long way to go, breaking a bad habit takes time, luckily my husband is a God send, he quit 16 years ago so he knows what I am going through. I am also very grateful to the members here who take the time to encourage me and validate my struggle, Thank you so much!

nalabean

Newoportunity Apr 12, 2017 (08:05 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi nalabean

That seem some of my morning day's, for my self the Morning when I walk up is the worse time. The first think I did was grab the Pack, puaj!. Now I drink a lot water instead and the feeling goes away. Then I realize I was having a Crave, so I get dress, no matter what time and do something around to get distracted. After a few hs. and a bit tired, I said I did it, an other Morning Not even a Puff.

I know is so hard, but is worse Not even try, try positive thinking, I want to Brief Fresh Air instead, I want to be Addicted to the fresh Air.

You are doing Ok, You need to get training to quit. That is start!!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/8/2015
Smoke-Free Days: 675
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 40,500
Amount Saved: $18,225.00
Life Gained:
Days: 108 Hrs: 16 Mins: 18 Seconds: 25

EVERY DAY IS A TRY, NEVER GIVE UP

Emily, Quit Coach Apr 12, 2017 (07:57 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi nalabean,

Those types of thoughts can cross the mind, but it sounds like you have some excellent strategies like nrt gum and journaling.

What are you enjoying about being smoke free?

Smokers' Helpline Online Support Team

wimporswim Apr 12, 2017 (05:07 PM)  

Hey nalabean - Oh yes - the head games! When the demon is playing with your head you can turn it around. And you did it today! If you hadn't quit yet, yes you could have had your 4 smokes today but you knew you got tired of counting and you remembered you said "enough" of that. Excellent job on turning the tables! You can do this nalabean - one day at a time.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 99
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,970
Amount Saved: $1,211.76
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 2 Mins: 32 Seconds: 51

nalabean Apr 12, 2017 (09:34 AM)  

Personal Image

Woke up very positive this morning. I did realize that i tense up on waking regardless of whether i will smoke or not....that's  is good to know.
Took my nicorette gum and work on my diary. Then the dumbest thought  crossed my mind....I could still be smoking if I  hadnt been in such a rush to quit . You see I have been cutting back slowly over the last few months and I had gotten to the point of being fed up of counting the cigarettes i  could have, so I decided enough.
My brain is playing games with me. 

nalabean

wimporswim Apr 11, 2017 (09:20 AM)  

nalabean - Congrats! for your day 2 victory. Venting and sharing does help so do it often. We got this!

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 98
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,940
Amount Saved: $1,199.52
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 20 Mins: 8 Seconds: 52

nalabean Apr 10, 2017 (10:23 PM)  

Personal Image

Thanks Jennifer, i know i read that but had forgotten about it. Appreciate the reminder and added the number to my contacts.

nalabean

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend
1 2