Smoker's Helpline | Connect to Quit

Home / Cravings, Withdrawal, and Avoiding Slips / Dealing with boredom

Search Messages
Posted By Message Date Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend
Treepeo Aug 26, 2017 (10:55 PM)  

Hobbies: reading, video games

Hi Doyle,

Congratulations on your 11 days!  Way to go.  I think it's great that you are going to the gym and hiking.  I find that I am going for longer walks than I ever would have even attempted before.  When I quit smoking, it seemed to give me a newfound confidence.  And although I can still get winded, my heart doesn't start to pound like it used to.  It's great. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/29/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 241
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,025
Amount Saved: $723.00
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 4 Mins: 34 Seconds: 49

Vix1976 Aug 26, 2017 (06:07 PM)  

Great job Doyle. Keep making us proud and more importantly keep making yourself proud!!

Doyle Aug 26, 2017 (02:09 PM)  

Hobbies: Hiking, Reading

Thank you for all the good advice.  I am doing alright - I started going to the park and hiking a bit when I feel like smoking.  I am also going to the gym 2-3 times a week so that is good.  I am in a place and time in my life where I need to discover what I enjoy.  I am a recovering alcoholic (1 year 10 months sober), so I guess I am learning to redefine myself and find fulfillment.  I am trying to use the means I used with alcohol to cigarettes, but the addiction is different.  But so far I am 11 days without smoking.  Thanks again to everyone.  One day at a time

Vix1976 Aug 25, 2017 (04:41 PM)  

Shenanigans that's actually a great idea. You're getting that feeling of relief that you crave without resorting to smoking as your crutch to get 'relief'. Love it!!!! What a great distraction!!

Shennanigans Aug 25, 2017 (06:07 AM)  

Hey Doyle, Your post is so very similar to my situation and way of thinking. Thank you for putting it out there, this post alone inspired me to join the community and makes me feel the resolve to see myself through the bored times. I had two thoughts when reading 1. Since it's been awhile since you posted this: how are you coping when your bored now? 2. Have you tried going for a hike even when it is raining? I work outdoors alot, rain is miserably cold and wet haha, but also wonderful. For me at least, it is a completely different experience to be out in the rain, the sounds are different, the view is different, the smell is different. A person can't smoke standing in the rain anyway, so getting out might completely put the cravings off (being cold and wet is the only time I don't stop for a break and rarely even think about smoking). For me, the best part of getting rained on is feeling absolutely miserable and I look forward to the moment I can get home. I absolutely love the part where I get to put on warm dry socks and clothes. Then I make myself a herbal tea or soup, I grab a book and soak up the bliss. If you have a weak immune system, I don't recommend letting yourself get wet and chilled though. Jeez, after spending the summer wishing it would stop raining, I now want good solid three days of cold November rain 😂

Quitters can be winners too

jennydls Jul 15, 2017 (02:48 PM)  

Hi Doyle, I actually find I have more time in a day. It sounds kind of funny, but I guess all those 10-15 min smoke breaks add up. So now it doesn't seem to take as long to get things done around the house, and get fidgety. When I find this happening I just get some ice cold water or something to keep in my hands. Best of Luck!! Jenny

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 28
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 560
Amount Saved: $277.20
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 12 Mins: 16 Seconds: 38

Jeyan Jul 13, 2017 (01:26 PM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: Walking, Roller skating, yoga, family

hello Doyle, do not confuse between being bored and addiction. Smoking cannot be a solution to being bored. You need to fix the root cause. if you're bored that means either you're not busy at work or at home, or you do not enjoy what you do. What you need to do is learn to like what you do, and try to keep yourself busy both at work and home by writing up a list of items to do and clean up and working on them. You need to break the habit. Also, learn to love all and the chores you do. :)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/16/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 270
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,700
Amount Saved: $1,620.00
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 18 Mins: 25 Seconds: 28

Sarah, Quit Coach Jul 12, 2017 (09:28 AM)  

Personal Image

Hello Doyle - thank you for bringing this very important topic to the forefront. Boredom can be a trigger for many people trying to quit smoking. Often times, when people quit, they find themselves with more time on their hands - after all, smoking cigarette can take up to several minutes each. Our community members - manderson4, Newoportunity & Treepo - had great suggestions and supportive words, which validate what you're a feeling Doyle - it is a common occurrence during the quit journey. The activities and hobbies you brainstorm do not always have to be too time-consuming; sometimes the best distractions are 3-5 mins long, to help aid through those tricky cravings that come along during boredom. Let us know if you end up trying any of the activities listed by your fellow community members, or if you've come up with some new ones to try! All the best Doyle, Sarah

Treepeo Jul 11, 2017 (10:52 PM)  

Hobbies: reading, video games

Hi Doyle,

I agree with Newoportunity.  Stay focused on why you want to quit.  And manderson4 is right about distracting yourself. How about immersing yourself in a good book?  Or putting on music and dancing around your home?  That's a fun way to exercise!  Or maybe try one of those adult coloring books.  It seems they are very popular these days.  Or try a jigsaw puzzle.  The possibilities are endless.  But like you said, you have to be motivated to do something, and it sounds like your problem is that you end up in some kind of funk.

You said that you become almost paralyzed mid-day.  There are things you can do, but you don't do them.  Well, now you know your pattern and one of the difficulties you face.  So now you have a chance to deal with it head on.  As soon as that feeling starts to come on, try immediately doing one of the things on your list, or something else to distract yourself.  Distraction seems to be a really effective coping mechanism when dealing with cravings. Don't give yourself a chance to wallow.

You have to change your routines and way of doing things when you quit smoking.  This is just a part of that change.  You will get the hang of it and figure it out.  It would be nice if there were a set formula we could all follow that would lead to success, but unfortunately, that is not the case.  It is different for every person.  We just have to muddle along the best we can.  Eventually, we are going to get to where we want to be.

I hope this helps, Doyle.  Keep up the fight.  It is worth all of the struggles. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/29/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 195
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,875
Amount Saved: $585.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 20 Mins: 36 Seconds: 22

manderson4 Jul 11, 2017 (08:47 PM)  

Hobbies: Cycling, Computers

Doyle I understand exactly where you are coming from and as a former heavy smoker, the down times were the worst.  I installed a game like pac man or tetris on my phone\tablet.  The other thing I did was got a couple of fidget spinners in a lot of stores you can find one for under $5 and it is a nice little distraction.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/16/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 87
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,525
Amount Saved: $4,784.78
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 4 Mins: 19 Seconds: 40

One Down One to Go

Newoportunity Jul 11, 2017 (03:07 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi Doyle

I know that sometimes is hard, just focus then on why you want to quit!
Be strong yo u can do it

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/8/2015
Smoke-Free Days: 764
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 45,840
Amount Saved: $20,628.00
Life Gained:
Days: 123 Hrs: 3 Mins: 16 Seconds: 46

EVERY DAY IS A TRY, NEVER GIVE UP

Doyle Jul 11, 2017 (02:52 PM)  

Hobbies: Hiking, Reading

I have a really hard time when I am bored.  I know that smoking is a false friend and hobby, so I know that there is nothing more boring than smoking a cigarette.  However, sometimes around mid-day I crave immensly and seem to become paralyzed and stuck.  I lose my motivation and positivity.  I even made a list of things I could do, but when I'm in the moment I don't do them.  I imagine each smoke free day, it will get easier.  I need to motivate myself and go for nice walks or do something physical.  But I have no hobbies for when it rains.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Have a great smoke free day!

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend