Smoker's Helpline | Connect to Quit

Home / Cravings, Withdrawal, and Avoiding Slips / Struggling...

Search Messages
Posted By Message Date Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend
Jeyan Oct 11, 2017 (12:13 PM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: Walking, Roller skating, yoga, family

Hi Doyle: great job! Don't forget quitting smoking is not very easy as we are battling an addiction and trying to kick the addiction out of our life. Addictions make us crave and are habitual, therefore, unlearning this bad habit will take time, and relapses are common. But, we have to accept that we have an addiction problem, and remain strong and keep at it and keep trying again and again and again until we succeed in defeating the addiction. Never quit quitting! This is my third quit attempt in the last 4 years. This time I am determined to kick this nasty addiction out of my life forever :) never a puff ever again!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/16/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 360
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,600
Amount Saved: $2,160.00
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 23 Mins: 32 Seconds: 3

Vix1976 Oct 09, 2017 (10:51 PM)  

Was offline for a bit, glad you got some great support Doyle and stayed strong! You got this girl I know how bad you want this and I know you can do it! Keep it up and if you need someone to talk to call SHO or message me or someone. Do anything and everything you can to make it through!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 27
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 405
Amount Saved: $291.60
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 12 Mins: 13 Seconds: 31

Sisu Oct 09, 2017 (08:18 AM)  

Hi Doyle Just read your messages from yesterday and today. I also quit on October 1st and this weekend I felt paralyzed myself! So many things I could have accomplished but my motivation was gone. All I can do is TRY to be gentle with myself. Whatever didn't get done will wait until I'm ready to tackle it. We need to celebrate the fact that we've made it to the beginning of day 9 of our quit. It really is one day at a time. To our continued success! Sisu

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/1/2017
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 96
Amount Saved: $56.64
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 4 Mins: 27 Seconds: 28

Doyle Oct 09, 2017 (07:15 AM)  

Hobbies: Hiking, Reading

Thank you all for the help.  I got through the day and this morning, I am enjoying a nice coffee with no craves to smoke at all.  Days are different from one another, and I understand that this is normal.  I trust that it will get easier.  Efram - thank you for re-posting my past comment.  This made me think and reinforced the fact that I want to be smoke free.  When I wake up, I tell myself that I choose life over death, and choose not to submit to the nicotine monster.  I feel good this morning.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 160
Amount Saved: $64.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 19 Mins: 17 Seconds: 21

Mud Man Oct 09, 2017 (01:55 AM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: Riding My Harley

Keep plugging away Doyle and you'll get there. It took many of us numerous failed attempts to get where we are today. As long as you keep trying you have the battle more than half beat. Someday your quit is gonna stick and won't let go.

The Mud Man :)  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/9/2015
Smoke-Free Days: 700
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,000
Amount Saved: $10,920.00
Life Gained:
Days: 130 Hrs: 10 Mins: 30 Seconds: 49

Your Friendly Neighborhood  MUD MAN

Efram, Moderator Oct 08, 2017 (09:21 PM)  

Personal Image

Thanks Smobered Up, for reminding us to celebrate the milestones along the way. Positive reinforcement helps us to stay strong and focused! 

Doyle: congratulations for taking the steps to get here! I hope that you're feeling better tonight than you were this morning. Also, I found something that you wrote earlier this year and thought it may be worth posting again: 

Keeping sober and free of toxic substances is the most important thing in my life.  The most important decision I will ever make is my decision to give up smoking and tobacco.  My whole life depends on not smoking that first cigarette.  I will surrender and work at disciplining myself.  I will not give in to useless thoughts and will stop them right away by using my means: walking, breathing, dancing, meditating and NRT's.  I will say to myself:  Nothing in the world can make me smoke.  I know that my higher power does not want me to smoke, and I won't do it.  I want to learn and grow into a non-smoker.  One day at a time...

Smoker's Helpline Support Team

Smobered Up Oct 08, 2017 (08:55 PM)  

Personal Image
Hobbies: Cottage in the summer, Florida in the winter, Photography, NOT SMOKING ☺

Doyle,
I have only one thing to add to the excellent advice offered before me.  

You have invested 7 smoke free days into your new and improved lifestyle. Keep banking those days and you will start to feel comfortable and more protective of your investment.  One week is, for me, a milestone of great importance.  
I am looking forward to celebrating 2 weeks with you......I think you've turned a corner.  We are all with you...................

Your quitter pal,
Smobered Up,

I am an addict aspiring to lifelong smobriety.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/15/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 359
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,975
Amount Saved: $4,038.75
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 13 Mins: 41 Seconds: 13

The buck stops HERE!

Paul, Quit Coach Oct 08, 2017 (01:55 PM)  

Personal Image

Hi everyone,

Treepeo makes some good points here Doyle. In some ways, this day could be a major turning point in the battle. By getting through this today, hopefully you will gain a lot of confidence that will help you in the future.

The best thing of all is that you won't have to go through this first week again; as long as you are able to keep it going, one craving, and one day at a time. It should start to get easier soon.

Is this the 'price we pay' to get our freedom back? Though that might not be the most soothing thing to hear, I think it's true.

Thank you for sharing Doyle. We also want to say thanks to Treepeo and all of our great members for being here and continuing to support each other, especially during Thanksgiving weekend. Being smoke free and getting our health back is something to be appreciated, and so is the hard work that you've all put in.

Best regards,
Paul

Smokers' Helpline Online Support Team

Treepeo Oct 08, 2017 (12:53 PM)  

Hobbies: reading, video games

Hang in there, Doyle.  I know it's really hard right now.  They don't call the first week "hell week" for nothing.  Cravings can be really out of control, and so hard to deal with.  Wait for 10 minutes, because anyone can wait for 10 minutes.  And then wait another 10 minutes, and so on, until the craving goes away.  And do things to distract yourself.  Read a good book, listen to your favourite music and dance around, go for a walk, whatever will make you happy.  Drink lots of water, and remember all of the reasons why you wanted to quit.

This point in time seems to be the hardest for you in your journey to quit smoking.  This is where you have to grit your teeth and really get serious.  You have to mentally commit to quitting for good.  I remember struggling with myself, not sure if I really wanted to commit.  But now I realize that that struggle was caused by my addiction.  Of course I wanted to quit.  But our addiction makes us doubt our commitment and whether we want to continue.  Don't fall into that trap, Doyle.  Be more stubborn than your addiction. 

Do something amazing for yourself.  Resist those urges.  Focus on your goals.  You have already made it 7 days.  That is truly awesome, and you should be super proud of yourself!  You can do this, Doyle.  You have to make it through this hump, and then you will be on your way to enjoying a new life of freedom.  Believe in yourself, Doyle, and hang tough.  And keep posting.  All of us will help you as much as we can.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/29/2016
Smoke-Free Days: 283
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,075
Amount Saved: $849.00
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 1 Mins: 15 Seconds: 17

Doyle Oct 08, 2017 (12:28 PM)  

I could simply float down the stream in my old habitual ways, but I am going to resist just for today.  I will remember to breathe and take things one minute at a time if need be.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: $56.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 30 Seconds: 23

Doyle Oct 08, 2017 (11:16 AM)  

I am having a hard time with the habit.  I am wandering around in my apartment and struggling.  I know I need to replace smoking with something positive, but I just feel paralyzed.  I have managed for a week now and feel a lot better physically and mentaly so I need to remind myself of this.  Picking up and smoking will just make me feel yuck.  I want to be free from the slavery and am telling myself that the cravings will not last forever.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: $56.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 23 Seconds: 33

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend